Research & Development
We have a good research track record for a hospital of its size. Our main research activity is recruiting patients into high quality National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) portfolio adopted multi-centre trials.
We participate in commercial research funded by the pharmaceutical industry and non-commercial research which is funded from the Department of Health via the NIHR North West London (NWL) Clinical Research Network (CRN). The funding enables the Trust to employ research nurses and data managers to support the clinicians in this work.
- Our Strategic Aims are:
- To expand the number of patients recruited into high quality clinical trials
- To expand the number of Specialties that are actively participating in clinical trials
- To adapt to the changing National and Regional organisation of clinical research and funding.
Participation in clinical research demonstrates The Hillingdon Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust’s commitment to improving the quality of care we offer and to making our contribution to the nation’s wider health improvement. This also allows clinical staff to stay abreast of the latest treatment possibilities giving patients access to new treatments that they otherwise would not have.
The Trust has an extensive research portfolio with a balance of observational and treatment trials across many clinical areas.
- Cancer – haematological, colorectal, bladder, prostate and breast cancers. These trials look to treat the conditions via chemotherapy or collect blood samples for genetic studies.
- Coronary Heart Disease – heart failure, atrial fibrillation, evaluating the safety of drugs on the market prescribed to patients
- COPD – rehabilitation
- Anaesthetics/Critical Care
All of our research activity is scrutinised for quality and compliance to the standards expected by the Research Governance Framework and the Health Research Authority (HRA). In addition, we work to comply with the Department of Health NIHR objectives.
We are supported by the Clinical Research Network (CRN) North West London.
Want to take part? Ask a member of your medical team about research that is relevant to you or ring the Research and Development Office on 01895 279021.
Want to be a part of NHS research? bepartofresearch.nihr.ac.uk
Research & Development
Tel: 01895 279021
Dr Samantha Kon