Choose well graphic

Where you should go for help and advice

If you or your child feel unwell and ‘over the counter’ medicines are not helping, then don’t wait for it to get worse – speak to your GP and it may avoid a trip to hospital. Make sure that your medicine cabinet is stocked up with basics, such as paracetamol, plasters and a thermometer.

Keep a good supply of your regular medicines and if you need a repeat prescription you should contact your GP.

We need to use our A&E resources for the most seriously ill patients, so please ‘choose well’ by choosing the best health service for your condition. If it’s not too serious, you’re likely to be seen quicker elsewhere.

Finding your local health services

Your GP

For details of your GP out-of-hours service (during the night and at weekends) you should call the usual phone number for your surgery and listen to the answerphone message.

Urgent care services

Urgent Care Nurse Practitioner Service (UCNPS)

Mount Vernon Hospital
Rickmansworth Road,
Northwood, HA6 2RN

Telephone: 01923 844263

Must book in advance using the telephone number above or by telephoning NHS 111.

Open 8am - 7pm, every day of the year (except Christmas Day)

Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC)

The UTC is equipped to diagnose and deal with many of the most common injuries and ailments that people have when they attend the ED. The service will be provided by emergency practitioners, GPs, emergency medicine clinicians and registered nurses.


The Emergency Department (A&E) is located at Hillingdon Hospital. It should only be used if you are seriously ill or it is an emergency. Please note that there is not an A&E at Mount Vernon Hospital. The Mount Vernon Hospital Urgent Care Service is for non-urgent care only.