Packing your hospital bag
We recommend starting packing your bag around 32 weeks and it may be helpful to have one bag for you and one for baby.
Your birth partner(s) are recommended to bring spare clothes, toiletries, drinks and snacks. You may want to consider packing with your birth partner too. This is so that they are able to find things quickly for you when you might not be able to.
A car seat is not required to be brought into the hospital until you are being discharged home.
Things to pack for yourself
- Maternity notes
- Money (for car park/taxi)
- Drinks and snacks
- Phone and chargers
- 3 sets of nightwear (consider front opening nightdresses for breastfeeding and skin to skin)
- A dressing gown and slippers
- Comfortable clothes (to go home in)
- 5 pairs of comfortable knickers
- A comfortable bra (consider a nursing bra)
- Maternity pads
- Breast pads
- Toiletries (including body wash, shampoo and deodorant)
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Hair brush and hair ties.
Things to pack for baby
- 1 pack of newborn nappies
- Cotton wool or wipes
- 5 babygrows and vests
- A knitted hat
- Baby blanket
- A set of clothes (to go home in).